Effective February 2016
Protecting your Personal Information
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Obtain
- How We Use the Information We Obtain
- Information We Share
- Online Tracking
- Your Choices
- Access and Correction
- Data Transfers
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Links to Other Websites
- How to Contact Us
Information We Obtain
We may obtain certain personal information (such as your name and contact details) when you choose to provide them through our Site. The types of personal information you may provide to us includes:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address, mobile or other phone number);
- Username and password to access COMPAREX products and services online;
- Account number;
- Payment information (such as your payment card number, expiration date, delivery address, and billing address);
- Content you provide (for example, when you complete our Contact Us online form); and
- Information provided to us by social networks or mobile applications when you visit our social media platforms or use one of our social networking or mobile applications (such as your name, profile picture, likes, location, friend list and other information described when you connect with the social networking application, and your geo-location details when using one of our mobile applications).
When you visit this Site, our social media platforms, or our social networking or mobile applications, we may also collect certain information by automated means, using technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons. The information we obtain in this manner includes IP address, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on our Site, and dates and times of visits to our Site. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server. Through these automated collection methods, we obtain “clickstream data,” which is a log of content on which a visitor clicks while browsing a website. As the visitor clicks through the website, a record of the action may be collected and stored. Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site.
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain through the Site to:
- Create and manage your online account;
- Offer and provide products and services to you;
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, surveys, events, programs, promotions and other offers;
- Display content on our Site;
- Process your payments;
- Respond to and communicate with you about your inquiries and requests and provide information you request;
- Register your purchased products and provide product and service support;
- Process claims we receive in connection with our products and services;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing and improving our services; managing our communications; analyzing our products; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- Perform data analysis and other analyses and processing (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, anonymization, encryption and tokenization of personal information);
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies.
In addition, we use information collected online through cookies, web beacons and other automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Site, (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Site, and (iii) managing our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Site, identify users of our Site, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Site, how users navigate through our Site, and how we may tailor our Site to better meet the needs of our users.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
We utilize Google Display Advertising (such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) to (1) show you our ads on other websites based on your prior visits to our Site, and (2) better understand our ad impressions and use of ad services. In connection with the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting service, we may use data from Google’s interest-based advertising or third-party audience data (such as age, gender and interests) with Google Analytics to understand and improve our marketing campaigns and Site content.
You can opt out of Google AdWords remarketing service and Google Analytics for Display Advertising by clicking here.
Our Site is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals received from browsers.
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information we collect about you, except as described here.
We may share your personal information with:
- Service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. When we engage service providers to store or process personal information, our policy is to have in place contractual provisions with those service providers limiting the purposes for which the information is being transferred to them and stipulating security requirements for that information. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. Examples of these service providers include entities that process credit card payments, fulfill orders, and provide web hosting and marketing services.
- Other third parties with your consent.
In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
We also reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
Access and Correction
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
We retain personal information as long as is required for the purposes identified when you provided the personal information, and for any new purposes identified by us and consented to by you, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Links to Other Websites
Our Site may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may operate independently from us. Linked websites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked websites. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for the sites’ content, any use of the websites, or the privacy practices of the websites.
How to Contact Us